Provincial Museums of Gorizia
The Dornberg, Tasso and Formentini houses are the seat of the War Museum, the Museum of Fashion and Applied Arts, the Archaeological Collection, the Ethnographic Collection and the Pinacoteca.
The Great War Museum is divided into twelve rooms in which are exhibited photographic documents, weapons, medals and other evidence of life in the trenches in Gorizia and in the surrounding areas during the First World War. The exhibition opens with a general overview of the Great War and then focuses on the Isonzo front. Moreover, there is the reconstruction of a 1: 1 scale trench: it can be traveled, allowing the visitor to identify with the situations of the time. There are also spaces dedicated to Armando Diaz and the Julia Alpine Brigade.
The Museum of Fashion and Applied Arts presents a collection of accessories and clothes covering a time span from the eighteenth to the twentieth century; of considerable interest is the section dedicated to silk processing and a large twisting machine dating back to the 18th century.
The Archaeological Collection presents finds from Gorizia and nearby areas: the exhibits range from the period of the end of the Paleolithic to the Middle Ages and the Renaissance.
The Archaeological Collection presents finds found in Gorizia and surrounding areas: the collection documents the cultural evolution of the territory from the end of the Paleolithic until the Middle Ages and Renaissance.
Palazzo Attems Petzenstein, seat of the Pinacoteca of the Provincial Museums of Gorizia, was completed in its Rococo guise in 1750 on commission from Count Sigismondo d ‘Attems Petzenstein. The building houses a rich historical and artistic heritage, including the large canvas with “The gods of Olympus”, the work of Antonio Paroli. The interiors of the building are decorated with various stucco and frescoes dating back to the late eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. Temporary exhibitions of considerable interest are set up inside the structure.